swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Excellent (sarcasm...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The article was from AUTOCAR with the chief editor at the wheel. At the time the results were BS and the same applies now. I maybe an Audi owner at present but believe me when I say it that in the wet an awd car (regardless of who makes it) will be quicker. If you doubt this then check out the review from AUTOCAR again on the new M3, they tested it on their wet handling track and it's time was a whole 6 seconds slower than the RS4. They even said that the M3 was just as quick in the corners but could get the same traction coming out of them and that was where the time was lost.

But this is missing my point which I was trying to make, we don't buy cars based on lap times, well us intelligent ones don't in any case. We buy them because on the enjoyment they bring, that is it, end of story.
In the complete absense of contradictory evidence comparing the E46 and S4 wet cornering speeds I find it very amusing that you call BS on the results. What basis other than your opinion and pure speculation do have to call "BS"? E92 M3 vs. RS4 results do not validate nor invalidate E46 M3 vs. S4 tests! So in short my skeptical nature tells me it is simply not a fact, never to be questioned, that all AWD cars are faster through wet corners than all RWD cars. When phrased that way wouldn't you agree it is probably rubbish? It is very close to your statement . Furthermore, I find it very amusing that you as an Audi owner call BS on the test by a magazine that places a major competitor above an Audi and yet praise the other test BY THE SAME MAGAZINE which finds results for almost the exact same test in favor of the Audi.

Again to be clear I am not saying AWD and the great Quattro system the Audi uses is not a significant advantage in many traction limited circumstances. But "Quattro" does not mean by holy proclamation "outperforms RWD in all metrics".

Last edited by swamp2; 11-15-2007 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: P.S. E - sorry for the ongoing hijack!
Appreciate 0