02-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #399
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Though to be perfectly honest with you I can't accept that the GTR didn't do the lap and the reason being I totally believe it was done, the regression data is too incomplete to be viewed as gospel. In fact for swamp to almost disregard the S3's lap time because it was so good in comparison to the cars with similar simga figures as a misprint says it all. You can't pick and chose what you want to believe just because it doesn't fit into a perfect little model, shit happens..........deal with it.
Let's be clear you and I both agree that the car is in the range of 10% under rated (the 7:29 car and regular production cars as well) and that a 7:29 is simply not possbile with stated hp. The regression model does a wonderful job of pointing this out. The S3 with -2 sigma on the 'Ring is in a whole different ballpark (different universe) than the GT-R with 480 hp at -3.5 sigma. It absolutely is not a linear scale between probabilities and sigma (please recall my multiple posts on this). Of course the model is not perfect, no one claimed it it, it is STATISTICAL in nature, but it does a darn good job of finding outliers in a rigorous/mathematical/unbiased fashion. It simply is not the case that outliers mean the model is no good. It means something is going on, I have listed long, detailed, thorough lists of the many things that could be "going on" in the past. Clearly something did go on with the GT-R, it is underrated and the model showed it. Something else is going on with that S3 time as well, something.
Appreciate 0