View Single Post
      12-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #3656
IRide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inChargeOfIT View Post
I am going in March.. any tips (besides bringing a GND)?

My gear list for the trip so far (that I own):
- nikon d610
- nikon 20mm F2.8 prime
- sigma 50mm 1.4 prime. I am not sure about this one yet. I am likely renting a 24-70 so may leave it (it's big and heavy but one of the best 50mm out there)
- 10 stop variable ND, 0.6 GND, and a polarizer
- intervalometer and I just ordered this tripod

I recently went full frame and do not have a lot of lenses so I will be renting. I am 99% sure I will be taking a nikon 24-70mm f2.8G and I am considering bringing a 24mm f/3.5D PC-E (tilt shift) as well.

Maybe a 70-200 f2, but those are so heavy and a little long for most landscapes. Trying to pack as light as possible. 20mm prime, 24-70mm would cover 90% of the shots I would likely be taking. 70-200 would cover the rest?
I would say that you've got it covered. I declined taking my 70-200 2.8 due to the weight and I didn't regret the decision. I did regret not taking my Zeiss 21 2.8, again a concession to weight. After reviewing the "Rule of 600" (http://photo.stackexchange.com/quest...trophotography) I elected to go with a 17-40 4.0 for the wider viewing angle and lighter weight. If I had a "do over" I would have taken the Zeiss. I used a 24-105 4.0 the most. We were warned that the domestic carrier frequently weighed carry-on luggage and we wanted to avoid any issues.

If I remember correctly you should have a good combination of weather and Northern Light activity at that time of year. One other suggestion, take along a pair of rain pants. Even if it's not raining they are a huge help in stopping the wind...and there will be wind! Have a great trip and we'll be looking for the results of your efforts.
Appreciate 0