07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #228
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I sense your skepticism (though your sarcasm is unwarranted), but don't think I wouldn't put my money where my mouth is. For me, there were two factors for not seriously considering a 1M Coupe: First, I was only a few months into a 3 year lease on my current 335i Coupe when it was announced and, second, I strongly prefer BMW's NA engines.

You can choose to label it as snobbery (it's not, really, just a well-reasoned personal preference), but I prefer the direct throttle response and non-linearity (i.e. gradual build) of BMW's NA straight sixes. I understand why turbos are likely here to stay and I appreciate their all around efficiency (the N55 really feels like a V8 much of the time and pulls in any gear), but I still gravitate to any NA straight six and I'm saddened that its time is coming to an end next year.

I'm on record many times as saying I would like my 335i much more if it came with the 255/260HP variant of the N52 even if I'd give up some speed in the process. I really wish they still offered a 330i in the U.S. My car prior to the 335i was a Z4 Coupe and that 255HP N52 was my favorite engine of all time. I'm not saying it's the best engine ever made, but I found that it was the perfect combination of usable power, everyday civility and decent economy. And it also had a lovely rasp to it when pushed -- I really miss that natural metallic sound that urged me to wind it out. It may not be an M engine, but it's plenty good for me.

So given my strong preferences and the fact that my lease is up next Spring, the leading candidate for my next car is a 128i Coupe M-Sport. I'm not even going to look at the new 335i or 135i because have no problem trading in some luxury, space and speed for a 300 lb. reduction in weight. If BMW offered a 130i in the U.S. with the 255HP N52 and a slightly harder suspension, that would be my ideal car right now. And without going off on a tangent, we bought my wife an F30 328i earlier this year and it's hugely disappointing as a driver's car, but fine as a luxury sedan.

I will also be test driving a Subaru BRZ which may sound crazy coming from a 335i, but I know my value system and I'm going to seek out cars that fulfill the demands of my heart and head. As I mentioned above, I believe the BRZ is the closest thing to a spiritual successor to the E30 M3 that's available new today regardless of price (almost same size, power, weight, speed, etc.)

As for weight, one gripe I've repeated before: I find it unholy and maddening that BMW doesn't include lumbar support on all their cars. But for the inclusion of lumbar support, I would likely forgo the Premium Package to remove weight and complexity. Unfortunately, I've driven a couple BMWs without lumbar support and my back starts hurting within an hour, so Premium is a must for me.

So despite my defense of BMW's current direction with the M brand, I'm basically an old school M customer and BMW is probably going to lose me at some point. For now, they still make the best car in their class and, perhaps most importantly to me, they still offer manual transmissions (even if I have to order them hear in SoCal) which I require.

If the Cayman had a small rear seat for the dog, that would be my car of choice, but a 128i M-Sport manual with the last of the great BMW NA straight sixes is a pretty good option, actually better for me than a 1M.
I am a 1M owner and a former 258 ps Euro specific N52 engined E90 330i owner and I know what you are talking about very well and totally respect your preferences. I still believe that you should give yourself a chance to drive a 1M first, if you could, and you may change some of those impressions. I would never rate the 1M as a great car if it wouldn't have such a big NA under the bonnet feeling most of the times and when you want it to be more, it has more too. Still, I agree with your OP totally and that Z4 3.0i coupe was really one of the best BMWs.
Appreciate 0