View Single Post
      05-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

You know how the best driver's cars always feel like more than the sum of their parts? Well the M3 has always felt like that to me - all generations. It's true even for my cheap-ass Miata.

From what I've read, the RS5 is not like that - people seem to have trouble finding a sweet spot between transmission, suspension, engine and steering settings, and the overall comments are that it never really gels into an Aha! moment.

I haven't driven one, so I don't know if that is quite true. What I do know is that I absolutely hate under steer, street or track. And this has been my limiting factor on track, so speaking for me personally I believe I would be faster over a whole session in the M than in the RS, even though initial laps may go down to the Audi. Could be wrong of course...

I would never buy one because of different reasons though - lack of manual tranny, and very poor packaging in the rear (I have a kid). If you try to get in the back of an A5/S5, you will understand...

I don't quite understand the market for it, honestly. If you wanted auto and grunt, wouldn't you go C63? And if you fancied AWD, wouldn't a certified used GT-R be much better? As is , it's for people who want a sort of M3 but with AWD and crappier feel. It's got to be a very narrow niche if you think about it...

Not trying to be obnoxious. I understand other RS models really - RS3, TT-RS, RS6...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0