09-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #160
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfetch View Post
Dave (and anyone else running 888s),
As you note, they're bringing back the RA-1s but for what (I think) is the wrong reason. The 888s do not last nearly as long as the RA-1s did plus they're a bit more sensitive to being shaved and heat cycled properly before use.

Granted, this is coming from a Spec Miata racer (gotta love 2400# w/driver ) and not the one who drives the M on track (that's the wife's job - see, I get to race a Miata ) but I learned a lot about reading the 888s and how they wear.

A vast majority of the guys complaining about them were pointing to a longevity issue (they do have a shorter life than the RA-1s which I think made people expect the same from the 888s) and significant tearing even when shaved (2/32 for the "fast" guys).

Proper care & feeding needs to start before they're put on the car & goes a long way towards decent life.

Best suggestion I can make for a new set would be the following:
Shave to 4/32 (on a heavy car you wouldn't want the super-tall tread blocks - too easy to shear/tear)
Do an easy 20 minute session on-track (maybe 7/10ths?)
Swap them for another set and don't touch until day 2

Day 2 comes around (shave, heat-cycle, 24 hour "cure") and you should have a fine set of track tires.

Anyway - have fun out there and be safe!
Brandon
I heat cycled both my sets of 888's and they still sucked.I have never heat cycled my RA1's and always have started their life at full tread depth and have never chunked and last 200-300% longer than the 888's!888 were a big step backwards for Toyo!
Appreciate 0