View Single Post
      09-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Swamp, you can sure make the car oversteer or understeer on the street at low speed without being reckless. That's not what I meant. If you are testing the car at the limit at 60mph+ though (track speeds), which I really doubt you are, I'd say that is being reckless. Obviously, the dynamics of the car are rather different when cornering at high speed (plus doing the other things you do on a track like braking and constantly changing direction in conjunction), and doing that at the limit on the street is not a very likely scenario.

The other thing is that it sounds like one of your rear tires wore out even further prior to the event. In your original post, you said the least amount of tread on your rears was just above 2/32", and in your recent post, you said it was into the wear bar, which means somewhere between 1/32" and 2/32". That's not much tread at all, so did you actually get really close to cording the tire? If so, that would clearly be detrimental in terms of traction. And, I am assuming you were monitoring your hot pressures to make sure you weren't heating up the rears more and over inflating them.

The issue is not that you will not have less traction. It is more about if the loss in traction will be drastic to the degree you experienced (to the extent that it significantly changes the balance of the car), and we are disagreeing on the potential explanations (I haven't ruled out the tread compound possibly being different beyond 2/32"), and so be it.

I guess you'll be able to report back on how the car behaves once you put on the rear tires I sent you that have about 4/32" tread. If you track those, and your car regains its balance, then it was surely the tires, so that would be a simple experiment.
Appreciate 0