View Single Post
      11-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Makes it harder to control the car on throttle when driven really hard.
Can't picture this. We already know that the steroided C63 makes no more torque than the standard model - just that the torque curve tapers off less abruptly. Therefore, it won't pull any harder. Apexing any given corner, you'll almost certainly have more power than you can fully use with either version (same with the M3), so you smoothly begin adding throttle as you exit. At the power peak, the hot one pulls about 7% harder, and less than that anywhere between the torque and power peaks. Below the torque peak, no difference.

So, after apexing, it's harder to squeeze the throttle to, say, 50% than it is to 53.32%?

Gimme a break.

Quote:
Magnifies any existing chassis flaws.
Nope. As mentioned, won't pull any harder around any given corner because you're gradually adding power anyway. No change, except you're using anywhere from the same amount of throttle (at torque peak and below), to as much as around 7% less throttle (at the power peak). Of course, I don't know of any given corner where you're rolling on the throttle at the power peak with only 400 rpm in hand - a very rare event indeed.

Quote:
Does zero for the daily driveability of an already very powerful car.
Agreed - but this is hardly a downside. Just not an upside.

Quote:
Shortens the life of the rear tires even more.
Nope. Same amount of torque.

Quote:
Really doesn't bring anything else to the table that wasn't already there. What's the point of more steak when you're full?
Bad analogy, and disagree completely. The car is faster while being no harder to control.

Quote:
Try balancing it at the limit in the rain if you think the dry is not challenging at all.
Have actually done that. Really, really fun.

Quote:
That's where we completely disagree. I think any automatic is total crap, just completely kills the joy of driving. Here's a thought - maybe that's why you always need more power, to bring back some measure of excitement? So you're downgrading the fun quotient by a massive amount by choosing an auto, then you're trying to claw it back up meager point by meager point? Pointless.
As I've mentioned, I am not yet ready for an automatic, but that doesn't mean that they're all the same - and in that context the C63 auto is extremely competent.

There's also the fact that any good automatic is faster and more responsive than a stick in everyday driving. Hell, even a mediocre auto is still quicker.

Quote:
At least the DCT is measurably faster than a manual around a racetrack (straight or bendy), so you can sort of justify it.
Expected to see this in terms of road course times, but really haven't yet. Is there some good data on this?
Appreciate 0