05-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I'm glad you see that I'm trying to help here. I don't want you or anyone else to ruin their leather. The top coat is like the "clear coat" found on your car's exterior paint. Its job is to protect the colored layer of your leather, known as the dye. The top coat is, depending on the leather type, made of polyurethane and needs to be treated with water-based, not oil based cleaners. Our leather is aniline, and there's a decent amount of info on the web regarding its construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This is good further evidence of your claims. Perhaps very regular or repeated use of this product is not a good idea. I'm not about fighting to the death when presented with clear factual evidence. Much as it seems you are trying to do, I am about facts, evidence and helping people understand things better.

I'm curious about this idea of a "top coat" on leather. It does seem plausible that the Magic Eraser has removed some top coat. What is the top coat, is it leather, is it a layer of leather impregnated with conditioner, is it something else?

What has been particularly disappointing to me in regards to the Leather Master product is that it was supplied with specific sponges also referenced by the instructions on the bottle. A "product" is often a combination of products and in this case it seems the only successful (and sustainable) removal of this shiny leather phenomena is both a gentle water based leather approved cleaner PLUS a very specific brush. In other word my blaming of product is absolutely fair and justified. If the kit as sold doesn't work without a special brush that should be amply noted with the product.

The next time I have this build up I will hapily, as per your advice, try the Swissvax Leather Brush plus Leather Master cleaner and report back.

Based on your advice I am also going to modify my post title as I certainly don't want to be guilty of contributing to folks damaging their leather.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0