View Single Post
      12-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #38
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You keep, as you seem to do so religously, missing the point.

NO ONE IS SAYING THE CARS PERFORMANCE IS OVER-RATED OR OVER-HYPED. Furthermore anyone who would say the the price to performance ratio is over-hyped would simply have to be insane. Carlos, the Nissan CEO, is probably correct in that this car's price to performance ratio is absolutely untouchable.

What is over-hyped is peoples false beliefs that Nissan has re-invented the sports car with some physics defying capabilities, i.e. that it can do what has been observed and claimed with its claimed power. My estimate is that the car has 520 crank hp. minimum.

Lastly I would adjust your table above for the GT-R to read 1/4 mi. in 11.7 s (est) as I have seen that figure, but am not sure if it has been obtained. I would also decide if you are going to quote manufacturers claimed hp or a reasonable estimate of hp. Those numbers are IMO, 480 and 520 (min, est.) respectively.
Which people are you talking about that has these false beliefs? What people think are not what creates the hype it's what the manufacturers publishes and tells the media and consumers that creates hype. The Ring time is still not official and 7:50 in partly wet conditions is still not bad and 12 secs. from the original claim, which is still possible. The only false claim so far is the horsepower and that is still not officially proven as a fact, but it does seems like it is well under-rated, i'm guessing 550hp. Here's the web-site from Dynapack, they explain how it works. Apparently the Dynapack uses hydraulic brakes just like an engine dyno that measures from the crank.

http://www.dynapack.com/dynapack.html
Appreciate 0