View Single Post
      01-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
To Audi's defense the 2.0T is an old engine. It proved to be reliable.
Well..the EA888 version is certainly not old...2010 MY I believe. Also, even the EA113 is not all that old, but granted, is moving closer to the end of its lifecycle. I'm sure this BMW engine just brought that horizon a little closer given the advantage it has on the numbers.

I had the 113 version in my 2008 TT, and it really is an amazing engine to drive. Torque is broad, and as long as you know how to drive it, (e.g keep the rpms up over 2000 which is easy with a DSG in manual mode) there was no turbo lag. Torque steer...well...that's another issue for the FWD models with an ECU flash.

I'm really really excited about this new unit from BMW. Anyone else thinking like me....that a N55 is not as desirable as it once was? Sitting in a 325i, I saw the efficiency and power of the N55..more power, better mileage. But if I had an F32 with this new unit...I'd be 55BHP away from the n55 engine, but with lighter weight and even better mileage. Also in Taiwan, taxes are based on engine displacement, so I think a 2.0 versus 3.0 would save me over $1000USD per year in taxes. SWEET! (That is until gov'ts catch on to small displacement big power units and tax power or C02 emissions like many European gov'ts already do)

Impressive stuff. BMW really needs to get on this technology even more...I bet you a few years from now we could be looking at a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine with similar performance numbers and even better mileage. Not going to lie and say I won't miss the big displacement engines...but times are a changing...and this direction looks promising in that it can meet emissions targets and still make driving fun. GO GO GO BMW.

And go Audi....hopefully its next engine beats the pants of this BMW unit and the cycle on innovation accelerates!
Appreciate 0