View Single Post
      02-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #114
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMckay View Post
I am endorsing anyone who is doing something unique and different rather than the same tunes everyone puts out with some a/f changes, ignition etc. Nothing "special" about the vishnu tune itself alone without the meth componenent.

You are missing one HUGE thing however, especially for people in cali or arizona or people out eas in summer. Keep in mind the stock car on 91 pump and even 93 does not even make the standard 414 crank hp due to not being able to fully advance the timing in the stock tune. Then you take it in the summer months and you are way down on power.

Unless you use race gas to prevent some of this-its hard to even make the stock max power.

So a tune using non-race gas in summer will maybe net you 10-15 over what you otherwise would be making which is a lot less than the rated hp due to timing retarding.

The meth addresses several things. First it provides the ability for the computer to not only maximize advance stock but even further advance timing due to the octane boost by meth. Tunes alone without race gas/meth cannot advance even beyond the stock limits let alone further or the computer will simply retard it.

Also the meth itself cools down the air so in hot months this really eliminates the hot weather effect so the added hp from the tune/meth can be added to the actual power the car should be making stock rather than starting at a lower power from timing retardation from heat.

As far as warranty-proceed being piggy back is the easiest to remove in two seconds. Also can remove the meth kid easily. So no issue with warranty unless you are too lazy to remove it. A flash tune is harder to take off unless you go with a self flash system tool than its great.

So maybe 30hp is not much to you but its probably more like 40-50hp in the summer months which even 30hp is HUGE for an NA engine.

I applaud people that do unique things-if this was so antiquated then why haven't others done it? People spend a lot more on exhausts and pulleys and removing cats which do not give you near the same power.

To each their own-I applaud shiv
I am not missing the benefits of meth, I am well aware of how it works. I had a 335i and also a supercharged e46 m3 and considered meth injeciton in both cars, but never did it.

I understand the cooling benefits of spraying methanol, and I also understand that it is an octane booster of sorts.

I am curious how you think you know that the car cannot hit its timing targets using 93 octane in all conditions.

I am curious about this because the comments in this thread from Shiv indicated that more power was gained in tuning by increasing the timing. If the stock car cant hit its timing targets, and aftermarket tunes only advance timing to make power, how would a tuned car make even 1 more horsepower than stock?

Again, for what I believe is a minimal gain, I would not run a methanol injection system in this car. It may not be expensive to setup, but you still have to purchase a 50/50 meth mix, make sure that it stays full, etc....and deal with the inherent complications of a methanol injection system.

I also 100 percent believe that piggyback systems are antiquated and are not an ideal solution. No other car runs a piggyback based system when flash tunes are available except 335 owners. And even most of them are using flash tunes now.

The cycle almost always goes from piggyback to flash to open source tuning using a OBD-II based cable tuning software.

Anyway, if soemone is looking for a bit more power and wants to deal with running meth injeciton and a piggyback, more power to them.

However, I dont think its revolutionary, and I also think that other tuners didnt invest in it because the setup does offer relatively minimal gains and quite a bit of extra hardware.

Like you said, agree to disagree. Best of luck if you do decide to run this product.