08-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #40
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Yes I do "consider" speeders to be criminals by default. Because the fact is they are criminals by definition.

Your story of the mother of a child killed by a speeding motorist is an excellent example of the cost of illegal immigration vs the cost of a criminal guilty of felony manslaughter.

The are both equally DEVISTATING, but the illegal immigrant criminals are just guilty of a misdemeanor. They should legally be FELONS and we are working to make them just that.

Yes, they are both devastating, one to a nation, the other to a mother and family.
If I may - it seems to me that you are really campaigning for the law as it stands at the moment to be enforced (ie for the borders to be policed and illegal immigrants to be deported rather than supported).

I don't have a difficulty with this - I think the law should be followed and if it's wrong people should campaign to change it.

What I do struggle with is the way in which you seem to blame the illegals for the problem. The problem seems to really have been cause by lax enforcement of the immigration laws for more than a decade.

Can you really (morally) blame people for coming to the USA illegally when they can see that others are able to do so in free view of the authorities without penalty?

If I 'take your word for it' about the devastation caused by illegal immigration then I would still have to make the point that this devastion is caused en masse rather than individually. So it is not the individual act of lawlessness that causes the problem, but rather it is the collective impact of hundreds or thousands of lawless acts, which (for many reasons) are deliberately permitted by the american authorities.
Appreciate 0