03-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #180
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Door panels may have safety requirements... though I am not really sure. Also the condition of doors when you sell your car is extremly important. Many appraisers look very closely at whether the bolts have been removed, so I wouldn't mess with it.
I wouldn't worry about the safety issue too much as I doubt the external panels are significant structural components. There must be one or more cross bars in the door itself. I didn't know about appraisers examining doors so closely though. Good to know.

Quote:
The battery... i did want to get it, but I am just concerned about the fuse box. Look at doba's picture and you can see that the fuse box barely fits... I really don't want to short something...
Not sure what you mean by barely fits. Do you mean that it is loose, or that it doesn't seem to attach properly?

Quote:
Just a short while ago, i was determined to loose the weight on my car, but now i think it's just not worth the money... you've got to spend at least $10-$20k to loose perhaps 200/250 lb with lighter wheels, body panels, exhaust, brakes, etc... and again, when you sell your car, aftermarket parts are worthless to dealers, so you'd have to spend all the money/time taking them off and part-out...
Fair point. But 100lb is reasonable. I am considering installing pole positions just for the summers and if I continue to take out the rear seats at the track as well, that is 250lb for about $6k including the titanium exhaust, TE37s, and braille battery. That is not acceptable to many people, but I was fine with driving without rear seats for a couple of months last year and I put them back in when I needed them (takes 15 minutes).

Quote:
hence, i thought i'd save some $$ for a used 07 GT3 that has a power-weight ratio of ~300hp/ton from the factory (vs. ~250hp/ton for M3) cheers.
I've come to the exact same conclusion as to what my next car will be. My plan is to sell the M in 3 years and get a 07 GT3.