View Single Post
      12-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #56
voidopolis
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

good thread - UIOP any update?

it's great to have folks that have owned both cars comment on actual experience. I'm currently in the middle of this same internal debate as well. I currently have a E46-M3 for my summer car and a MK6-GTI for a winter car. I want to replace both of them with 1 car - requirement being that I need 4 doors. I've driven in snow my whole life, so I'm not overly concerned with any car as long as I have a good set of tires.

I keep going back and forth between 3 cars as replacement: B7-RS4, E90-M3, and the E60-M5. I considered for a bout 3 seconds the AMGs - but quickly decided they are not for me... but none of these three would be a "bad" choice, but after my recent test drive of the RS4, I'm leaning toward the E90. So far, Ive driven the RS4 and a few E90-M3s (both manual and DCT). I need to get into a E60...

I was surprised just how small the RS4 felt for a 4 door sedan - front and rear. Front seats were smaller feeling than the e90 and the rear seats are uncomfortably small for a 4 door. with the front seat in a driving position for a 6ft guy the back seats felt almost as small as my E46 vert. The engine was great and the exhaust note from the aftermarket system was amazing (especially in "S" mode). seat of the pants power was good - very comparable to the E90. Steering felt heavier, but not as connected as the E90.

Interior wise, I'm not sure why everyone goes on an on about how much better the interior is on the RS4 vs. the M3 - unless they are comparing the E46 to the B7. The E90 vs. the B7 - I really prefer the E90- especially with the carbon trim - look amazing IMHO. The B7 interior just felt old and square. The E90 lines "flow" and look elegant.

RS4:
Pros: AWD, good sounds, nice interior, rare
Cons: tiny feeling, back seats are almost unusable, maintenance costs vs. the M3 are higher looking at the normal wear items (like brakes) & Carbon. not sure of the longevity of the RS4 engine

E90:
Pros: seems to be pretty much the most carefree car of the lot, cheapest maintenance, lots of aftermarket kit available for it. sexy as hell inside and out.
Cons: everyone has one... I see quite a few daily. Smallish for a 4 door sedan. stock exhaust is pretty quiet.

E60:
Pros: Big & roomy, styling look great, rare and AMAZING V10 soundtrack
cons: higher maintenance costs vs the E90, SMG - very hard to find a manual. Not sure of the longevity of the E60 engine.

so, any additional comments on this debate?
Appreciate 0