Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I wouldn't wear seat harnesses without a proper rollcage. That includes a hoop, diagonal etc. If you roll the car and the roof caves in, your neck doesn't have room to slide out of the way with harnesses versus a seatbelt.
The Schroth harnesses are specifically designed to be used with stock seats. They are a 4 point, they're supposed to prevent submarining (don't wanna find out), and are DOT approved. My unexpert opinion is that I'd rather be in the seat and get my head crushed, maybe, rather than getting thrown around in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Yes I agree that you should be comfortable sliding and and slipping to drive on R-comps only because that means you'd have better car control. R-comps don't reward driving with a big slip angle though like street tires do. With that said, I like street tires on my street car more because you can really drive however you want and over-rotating and sliding the car is highly enjoyable, if not fast. Also m3's suspension is better suited for street tire. Only thing I miss is the stopping distance of r-comp.

OP I recommend a "cheater-streeter" type tire for your needs.
Agreed. I was running similar times on the conti scrubs and dunlop Z1*'s. The difference is I do have a lot more fun and a much higher comfort level with street tires. You have to be so careful with your tires or they cord. I've seen 2 guys go through a NEW Hoosier R6 in six 20 minutes sessions (it was hot out). The best part is the end of the day. You're whooped and just wanna get home and unwind. As you pull out of the paddock, you see all of those guys pulling their hot and dirty wheels off and then cramming them into their cars. Then you're not sticking your face near the hot wheels checking tire pressure EVERY time you come in. Frankly, I check hot pressures at lunch or after 2 runs, that's it.

I've convinced two people to go from R-Comps and scrubs to the RS3s. Both have been pretty happy so far. One guy says he's not going back to the scrubs.

I do think a stock M3 does pretty decent on slicks/R-Comps. It could be better but the car does well out of the box.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0