11-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #1044
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
You act like cost is no object to BMW. Everything they put in a mass produced engine is not going to be the best of the best!

Of course a carillo rod is stiffer. That is carillo's business, they make rods that are stronger than what engines are specced with from OEM!

Did BMW not have a recall where E46 rod bolts were replaced with stronger ones? I am sure they did there testing in the S54 too...... But they ended up beefing up those rod bolts three years into production!
No, not really...

I've spent plenty of posts here on the forum with harsh and appropriate (IMHO of course) words critical to BMW M for their obsession with cost and its detrimental effects on their cars. I've also blasted their marketing nonsense as well. My favorite topics there are that 50-50 weight balance is somehow ideal for a performance oriented car. I've also posted on their very dubious claims of weight loss in the E92 M3 (it was a lack of even additional weight gain...). I've also posted quite a bit on why composites still are not widely used in BMW M cars (they do exist and have since the E46 bumper support beams). The issue there is just volume (volume, volume, volume).

Anyway, I understand the cost vs. feature/performance see-saw pretty well. Having some professional mechanical and manufacturing engineering experience of real production parts helps as well.

Again, it is likely Carillo rods are stiffer than OEM but I wouldn't guarantee it in all cases. Also, you need to stop mixing/confusing stiffer with stronger, these things are not interchangeable. Since you've already decided that Carillo rods are far superior to BMWs I suggest you see what technical data Carillo will share with you for your exact chosen rods vs. the stock ones. Please report back. My point of this line of questioning is that they certainly have a good reputation, but you are likely just jumping on their bandwagon being their fanboy with no evidence.

I do not recall a S54 rod bolt recall or major part change. Could be but the rod and bolt system are best designed as a matched set.

I'm no BMW fanboy and have never claimed BMW never screw up. They have and will continue to do so, it is almost a given, given the breadth, depth and complexity of their business and engineering. Perhaps the key question on this point is do they screw up more or less often than their peers and are the screw up more or less serious.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 11-18-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0