06-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #93
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I agree that it would cost a lot more money to make a 335 competent on the track and reliability is always going to be on the back of your mind with the high pressure fuel pump even though they seem to have much less reliability issues running on the gas you have over there. The M3 is track ready out of the box other than perhaps getting better brake pads so absolutely no additional expense is required. I see that you've slapped M3 suspension parts and a limited slip diff on your 335 but that still won't give you the versatility of EDC and the performance oriented MDM not to mention the M-DCT. In the end, pouring that 30k into your 335i would probably not get you around the Nurburgring faster than my time of 8:07 in light traffic on a tourist day with a completely stock M3. The lower running cost and insurance does not apply here.

In conclusion, if you are going to take the car to the track, get a M3 period. I'm glad you made your 335i work for you but if you could do it all over again knowing how much money you would eventually pour into it, would you have reconsidered getting a M3 instead? I'm a 335i to M3 convert and I would have gone with the M3 from the beginning knowing what I know now.
Well I'll head to the Ring this Sunday if the weather is ok, but the nut behind the steering wheel needs alot more laps before I could touch that time On a sidenote I'm not too fund of driving that fast in Touristenfahrten. I'd keep that to private trackdays for safety reasons. Overtaking on the Ring with unepxerienced drivers around can get scary.

As for the cars, if I were to do it all over again, I would probably have gotten a dedicated trackcar

It may sound silly, but the high fuel consumption is what kept me from getting the M3 in the first place. Although the extra fuel expenses aren't in fact that much compared to what I finally put in the car, it's merely the fact that you'll be at the gas station weekly, if not twice a week; then seeing all that fuel money go out of the pocket (psychologically much worse than spending a few grand at one time for a nice mod ).

It's through though that the combined expenses of the M3 suspension parts, LSD, the extra cooling stuff... would have gotten me a nice supercharger for the M3

In the end, my car puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0