View Single Post
      09-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Also, if you can arrange to shadow someone in a service you're interested in, it would give you a better feeling for what the actual work is like and give you a rec from a doctor. Not necessary, but good experience and a different kind of rec than "Person X was in my class on Y. He got an A. He asked interesting questions and seemed insightful."

Community service is ok, but don't go overboard. Schools like to see that you have a humanitarian streak, but all applicants know this, so everyone at least claims to have done community service. It doesn't make you special, it just makes you normal. Have something to put down, but don't sacrifice MCAT prep time for gobs of community service.
My current doctor was the Chief of staff at a large hospital system in town, also he was taught by my grandfather. According to my grandfather, he was his most brilliant student. I think if he would let me shadow him (which im sure he will) he would be the best source of information and experience i could get. good to know that the community service isnt the biggest of deals, ill try and put some time into it if something comes up, i wont break my back over it.
Appreciate 0