Thread: Haters
View Single Post
      03-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
I am not a Skyline lover and am a big BMW fan (owned E36 and E46 Ms). Still I think it is totally fair and accurate to call a bit of "rice" on some elements of the new design. I know it will probably grow on me (and grow fast). But if there are as many people saying this as their are it must have some truth. Looks are subjective, but if 20% of folks say it is a bit "ricey" then it must at least have some definitively ricey elements present. Part of it also is (like I stated in a separate thread) that many of the indivudual design elements just don't seem to fully work together as they did with the E46 design.
I hate the words "Rice" and "Ricer" more than anything on these forums. They used to mean something but now they mean nothing. If a car these days has some humps and vents its called rice on the forums? Thats BS... If you asked two seperate people what "Rice" meant you would get two seperate answers.

I was hovering on boards when the import scene took off and I remember what "Rice" used to mean. Nothing from the factory was ever called rice since that went against the whole original meaning of the word. Rice, originally, was used as a descripter for asian cars. So a car wasnt rice just because it looked like an asain car. In the beginning it was attributed to something like a GTR badge on an Acura. Or a spyder badge on a Mitsu GTX coupe. You know, stuff that made no sense and was stupid. And this gorgeous car from BMW comes nowhere close to being F###ING rice!!!!!!!

Jason