View Single Post
      08-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #82
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Honestly, how many hot shoes complaining about the brakes will (a) actually buy the car AND (b) take it on the track at 10/10s?

I don't know.

If I buy the car, I probably will not take it to 10/10s (of my own ability) on the track unlike with my E46 M3, because honestly I am not as comfortable as I used to be with the notion of wadding up a new car and (at best) being dropped from my insurance carrier. Good luck finding new coverage in that situation. If that makes me a poseur in the eyes of some hard core forum racers, then so be it.

I've taken my E46 M3 to 10/10s at Road America, a very high speed/hard braking track for multiple 20 minute sessions. Turn 5 in particular is tough on brakes because you are braking for a second gear turn at the bottom of a fairly steep hill, which is at the end of a long straight. Canada corner also can induce some pucker when braking. I experienced slight fade towards the end of each session. Not enough to spook me or even to make me back off. Certainly not enough to justify investing $5k in a big brake kit.

If the new M3 has similar braking performance, that is enough for a poseur like me.
Appreciate 0