View Single Post
      09-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #455
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
You can do the same thing by letting off the throttle for sec and shifting up without the clutch. I did it for years in CCS before there was quick shifters. Rev matching is not the reason for a slipper clutch. Let's say your bike does 65 miles an hour in first gear. You come in to a corner at 68 mph downshift to first and release the clutch prior to going in the rear wheel is going to start hopping because the transmission can not keep up. The slipper clutch will allow the rear to spin and get rid of the hop making it an easier transition into the corner. I'm not saying that you don't need this stuff what I'm saying is that someone who is not pushing the limits of their riding capabilities does not need it.
You dont need to educate me on the physics of a slipper clutch...i am well aware of what it does, and also well aware that you can negate the effects of it through rev matching and feathering of the clutch.

I also know that you can roll slightly off the throttle and clutchless upshift. This isnt voodoo we are talking about.

However, comma, when doing that you WILL upset the suspension. And generally it works best when the engine is at or near full throttle. Going back to my example of being mid corner, in an extremely fast turn, hanging way off the bike, and needing to shift up, rolling off the throttle and clunking into gear is not the brightest of ideas. On a straight away, sure, Ive *also* done that for years. However I would not dare attempt a clutchless upshift, mid corner while hanging off the bike with a knee on the ground.

Personally turns 11-12 at Jerez come to mind. Two consecutive, extremely fast (4th gear) turns, where if you are hitting it right, you need to upshift before exiting 12 while doing triple digits, with your puck skipping on the piano. Id like to see how a clutchless upshift works out for the average person.