03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #39
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I got them from BMW and fitted them myself. I had them for about 1500miles then swapped them back to the standard pads to save wear on the oem discs. The performance sports pads wear out the oem discs quicker especially when in their abrasive temperature range. You would have to constantly relayer the oem discs with the sport pad material to keep disc wear and squeal to a minimum, but this is impossible on normal driving, thus my decision to swap them back to the standard pads, then swap to the performance pads for track days and my long road trips.

As to the different discs that are meant to be fitted with the sport pads, I have no idea whether they are a more resilient compound, although realoem does state that the standard discs are not to be fitted with performance parts.

There are no magic pads that will do everything without any downsides. Lots of people have 2 sets.
This is great info. Thanks.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0