Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Track one

You'll feel different.

I have times similar to some in e90/92s on the same track the same day.

I've also tracked an e90M3 on the same track the same day

There is a difference, but it's not night and day

Until you drive one, you won't understand.

Also, a 335i with a tune DPs FMIC etc is still not a M3.
How do I know this? I have a 335i with over 400whp and torque.
In a straight line, sure the 335i is faster, but that's pretty much it.
Even with all the suspension mods I did, it didn't handle as well and as smooth.
Also, the constant smooth power of the S65 beats any N54, tuned or not.

Also....
"perfect weight balance, the perfect engine and tranny "

The M3 is not perfect weight balance, does not have the perfect engine, nor does it have the perfect tranny

I don't know where you got this from my friend.

Nonetheless, the price I got my e93 lease for was about $100 less than an equally equipped coupe, so yay

Regardless though, for some people, BUYING a 75k car or a 83k car won't affect them.

Hell, if you're looking at buying a car, and a 10% difference will push you over your comfort zone...maybe you're not ready to be up in that price range anyways.... (not saying this about anyone, just saying in general)

Just a heads up, I'm not here to piss on anyone's parade, just stating that I don't understand the mentality. With that said, I'll answer some of your questions.

I've done a couple laps in a vert (big willow) there is a noticeable difference. On a tighter road corse the difference would be more noticeable.

Since you are not a pro driver (nor am I) your lap times against a group you hit the track with are all about the driver, not the car. So if you post a similar lap time against someone in a E92 who does not drive as well as you do, that doesn't say anything. So your similar lap times in this scenario are irrelevant.

In regards to owning a 335, I agree because I had one as well 4 years ago. I am pretty confident in saying that if you did not currently own a E92 coupe (335), your decision about getting a M3 vert may have been much different but that's neither here nor there.

The M3 has as perfect of a weight balance as you can ask for in a road vehicle 51/49 if I'm not mistaken? Even Porsche does not have this kind of weight balance.

What do you call perfect weight balance? 50/50? Close enough.

Not the perfect engine is an opinion at this point as you will have an extremely difficult time finding a natural V8 redlining at 8400rpm with peak power coming on at redline and torque being put down flat as a table top. What engine comes close to this without intruding on super car territory?

What do you consider a perfect engine?

In regards to pricing on a vert being 10% more hence becoming an affordability issue, I will confidently tell you that price is NOT the main reason people do NOT buy a vert M3. I have no proof of this, but I am confident enough to assure you that price is not the reason that people do not buy a vert M3. You can run a poll if you like, would gather enough data to prove this is absolutely irrelevant and definitely not a talking point when it comes to the topic of performance.

In addition, the E93 M3 is around 440lbs (as far as I can remember) heavier than an E92 M3. 440lbs. That's no joke. To put that into perspective... The weight difference between a E92 and E93 is over 100lbs greater than the weight difference between a E46 and an E92 M3. If you really look at the most talked about issues or complaints in regards to the E9x M3, you will see it's about 1) torque from those who typically don't understand how torque truly works or understand but just don't like how the E9x torque applies and 2) weight being significantly more than then E46 M3s. With that said, an additional 440lbs is a significant amount. Add to that the cut off roof affecting rigidity and structure, you still have the same brakes as I do which are now supposed to slow down an extra 440lbs, and you got yourself something to think about.

Again, not pissing on anyone's parade there is nothing like seeing a happy M3 owner whatever their reasons of joy may be. This is just my opinion supported with facts. I personally, would not spend my money on a M3 vert which is only a preference I have due to the information I've posted above. Not because I do not have the money. Lulz.