View Single Post
      11-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #36
liljestig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G08 iX3 M Sport

No manual option for the higher torque diesels even in Europe. Think the 3.0L turbodiesel engine found in 335d, 535d and X5 xDrive35d has close to 400 lb/ft torque (~600 Nm) and the reason not offering manual is that few "civilized" clutches can handle that.

My previous car, a 2009 E91 320d Touring was a stick shift, and the car before which was a 535i. Despite the additional feel and control a manual transmission gives for a daily commuter car I would not trade away my new X1's 8-gear automatic even for a second.

After long trips (500 km+) around Europe in the 320d and the 535i I could really start feeling the thigh muscle aching all the way up in my back.

And especially for a manual geared four-pot diesel, the range in which it delivers the torque is hughely narrow in compare to the petrol equivalent. Easy to find oneself 'in the wrong gear' a little too often. But then again, it's all about preference.. maybe I'd still go for a stick-shift 330d with 258 DIN horsepowers... tough choice!