07-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell
The buyout price is determined during the initial lease agreement based on the current residual numbers, I don't believe you can renegotiate afterwards. Leasing makes sense if you don't wanna keep the car, or if you run it through an LLC or corporation and write off the lease payments. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time I suggest you finance the car from the get go. If you need lower payments I would look at other cars, you'll be happier in the end.
The buyout can usually be negotiated.

For me, leasing vs. buying is about transfer of risk. If you buy, you bear the risk of loss, depreciation, gas prices, etc. however you have pride of ownership, freedom to mod, drive as many miles as you want, and such. With leasing the risk of loss, depreciation, gas prices are all borne by the leasing company. If you have a crash, you walk away. If the car is worth less than the buyout at lease end you walk away. If gas is $10 per gallon at lease end, you can walk. However, you are constrained in terms of milage, mods and the like. There are plusses and minuses to both, just depends on what you want. At least that's how I view it. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0