View Single Post
      06-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
AckM3
Teh Shuffle Fairiez
United_States
Rep
Drives: Teh e92 M3

[Pics] Track day@Thunderhill

Actually "llihrednuht", NASA run it in reverse once in a while, which is fun. You can aim for the water tower from turn 2 instead of 9.

The car:

* Engine: Definitely notice the extra power over the s54 when coming out of the turns.

* EDC: Based on what I'd read, I put EDC in normal (dynamic) mode. Never felt unsettled or unpredictable while it was adjusting on-the-fly. It's remarkably compliant when it hits a bump, but hugs like a champ when it needs to. No excessive lean. The Eibachs worked nicely.

* DSC: Figured I'd try MDM. Utter bollocks, lasted one session. DSC off for the rest of the day. Plenty of fishtailing and sliding, all totally my own fault but correctable. I hung the arse out in 2 - on purpose - which was fun.

* DCT: When it worked, it worked well, S6 is lightning quick. When it didn't work...front straight, coming up to 15, 5th gear, brake hard, downshift...er...downshift please...FUKKIN' DOWNSHIFT...your shipment of fail has arrived. Threshold braking problem, which everyone swears was fixed in the update. Yes, I got the update, fixed my arse. Next problem: same corner, I'm braking hard, downshift, ohcawkherewegoagain 7th GEAR WTFBBQ?!? It upshifted for me. Upshifted. To its credit, any time it locked, it would then allow me to shift during the corner, and it was so smooth that it did not unsettle at all. I tried to adjust my braking by gradually easing off and it didn't make any difference. I had to brake very early and gently to avoid this. It's incredibly annoying.

* Tires: Love the PS2s on the street, but they get very greasy on the track after 10 laps. I ran ~40 hot, which worked well, no rollover.

* Brakes: Apart from threshold braking on the front straight, I never really worked them too hard, so I didn't experience any of the massive fade/warping that others have had. But I will change out the fluid and pads when I go again.

The peeps:

* NASA: did a great job as usual. Mario Lento is fukkin' nuts...in a good way, I highly recommend him. I also recommend Fabien Heitz, incredibly smooth and fast, and knows his Bimmers (has an e46).

* Peeps: Lorrie supplied enough food for a small African country. I put the overtake down to the s65, otherwise game over. Steve needs to remember use the middle pedal. Greg is now addicted.

The pics: