07-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #94
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Would the 3M compound I have on my shelf be sufficient to satisfy you? Simply, a random orbital machine does not have enough speed or power to burn the clearcoat. You can definitely introduce a shit ton of hazing but getting through the clear? Not gonna happen. The polish breaks down too soon when using a random orbital. Rotaries are a whole other ball game.

If you're so sure you can't wash a car without scratching come on over to Germany and have a look at mine. I had another M owner that had the same doubts as you did and he had his doubts erased the weekend before last. You might think I'm nuts but I have swirl and scratch free paint and I wash 2 or 3 times a week. Don't think just because you're incapable of doing this correctly that noone is.
Yes 3M is fine but I use Menzerna . I've been using it for a little while now. Used to use Zaino but was never quite happy with it.
The last time I was in Germany to visit family, I could have sworn they had the same dirt and grime that was prevalent in every other part of the world.I never said that you car wasn't swirl free. I said it before and I'll say it again(like others have also posted on this thread). it is impossible to not put some scratches in the clear coat when washing. No matter how soapy and slippery you get it ,some dirt will still touch the clear coat as its wiped away.If you didn't get fine scratches from washing , then why would there be a need for polish?You wouldn't get scratches all over the car from just driving. there would be no reason to use it other than getting a scratch from a branch or etching from rain or bird shit. Pull the car in a garage under a fluorescent light and you're gonna find some. I guess you've reached some jedi-like,car washing talent that I can only dream of. The same topic is being discussed at 6speed online. Here is what the professional detailers have posted in reference the matte paint care for the M3. It says what I stated before about a polish being used on this type of paint.(which is in direct contradiction to what you say.) But hey what the hell do I know I'm just some hack that can't even wash a car correctly
Some how I get the feeling you're still gonna put your fingers in your ears and go LALALALALALALA, I can't hear you.Whatever gets you through the day

Matte or Satin Finish Paint - do not polish or wet-sand a matte clear, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance (textured finish) by diffuse 30 degree reflection are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By leveling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’. Use a rotary polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (Lake County CCS Concourse Gold (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner (Zaino Z-AIO - All in One) it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer (Zaino Z-CS - Clear Seal) the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax - Opaque Wax- a premium wax specially developed for all satin matt paintwork types. It offers your car's paintwork thorough long term protection against all kinds of negative contaminants without damaging its satin matt appearance.

Last edited by Reznick; 07-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0