05-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Hellride
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Glad you had a good time. I think you are running too much pressure on the BFGs. That's probably why your fronts were corded in two days. You won't roll them with 39-40 hot, even with stock camber. I ran them in that range for 3 track days before I got my camber plates, and they were just fine. My experience is that grip goes down significantly as they go above 42-43. Also, the warning messages you are getting are NOT normal/expected. I've had many track days with this car and have not recieved a single warning message. There have been many other track reports with various setups, and no warnings that I can remember. I would get them checked out. The rolling diameters of your tires seem fine to me--the F/R difference is not extreme. I can't remember what the BMW spec for the difference is but you can ask your dealer, or take the stock difference as a known working spec.
Thanks Lucid - appreciate the help. I'll try running the lower pressures. I knew the first sessions were pretty hot. The cording really didn't even show up until the next day with pressures down lower at higher 30's. I would feel nervous under 39 especially, so I'll try to hit 40. I also went to CA Speedway (ROVAL) this month and the tires held up better, but it isn't as tight a track (BFG recommends lower cambers on ROVALs). Still felt too greasy as I was trying to hit ~43.

I've had these errors come up now and again (especially the EDC) for sometime just normal driving. I wanted my dealer to take a good look at the car, but a whole other topic - is just how frustrating BMW service is. They've "fixed" it a few times. I have noticed though, that it is pretty easy to "pop" the sensor off the top of the strut tower. Anywho, going to CA Speedway this weekend again with BMWCCA - after I'll get the car in for a complete service as there'll be some down time for the next event. I flipped the tires, so I'll target 40 hot and hope for better results.