05-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #46
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
(I thought I lost my mind when this was moved to M3)

OK...our oil pumps aren't electric- only the water pumps.

7qt of syn is WAY preferable to 4qt of fossil oil for resisting coking and for making is last longer. Still, hot running, 100hp/l turbo engines are more demanding on the oil, but the interval appears (yes- I'm speculating) unchanged from BMW's normally aspirated engines. That doesn't make sense. We also have no information about longevity goals BMW intended. I imagine the majority of people buying BMWs brand new don't keep them beyond the low 100k range, and already expect big depreciation, so that is a likely factor (yes, I'm speculating)

I'd be much less concerned running a (non-M) normally aspirated engine on the recommend change interval than a turbo or M engine.

In fact, when Subaru started importing turbocharged cars again (2001?), I think they had like a 5-7.5k mile interval, even on synthetic. By 2005 they changed that to 3,750 for all turbo engines, even if driven under mild conditions. Previously that was the interval for "extreme conditions" drivnig. Now they define merely HAVING a turbo "extreme conditions". The interval was implemented retroactively to ALL turbo subies. Think about it...they reduced their interval from 2x as often as BMW to 3-4X as often!
subaru recommends/uses dino oil... I've had 5 subarus (3 of which were turbos). It's true that they allowed synthetic and wouldn't change the intervals because of it.

Last edited by markinva; 05-08-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0