06-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #100
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
First off, the 997s steering is just superb. Your hands feel like they are on the tierods themselves. I love my E92 M3 but the low speed steering feel is just not up to snuff vs. the PCar, granted as it comes to speed it gets much better but you just don't get the same feel and connection to the steering as you do in the PCar. Of course on a race track the 997 is going to be faster, but you are going to have to know how to use the rear engine bias to turn the car. If you can learn how to hang out a 997 to get that light front end to turn and then use the rear engine bias to let those huge 295/305 tires dig you out of the corner with the sweet low end/midrange of the engine and you can see how the PCar is going to be faster. I find my E92 M3 looking for traction all the time. I can get the rearend to hangout with ease in the M3. The diffy is superb in the M3 and really keeps things in check, but wheelspin means you are losing time.

That all being said when I read the 997S just demolishes an M3 I think you guys are doing a disservice. I know for me I bought into this and went out and bought a new 07 997.1S and to be honest I was underwhelmed. When I finally learned how to drive the car is when I fell in love with the car, but I never felt it was that much better than my somewhat modded E46 M3. I know Greg and others are going to have a different opinion, that is great, thats what makes these boards a good source of info. There is no right or wrong in this. In some respects I don't even see how the M3 and PCar can even be compared. I literally laugh to myself when someone tries to compare a M3 to a GT3, get real. A decently equipped M3 comes in under $70k, a new GT3 is well over the $110k range if you buy new.

The clincher on why I sold the 997 was when I couldn't afford to have a DD and the PCar. Thats when I decided to switch to the E92 M3 and I'm glad I did.

Dave
A very balanced post!! I always feel that people who trumpet how superior a P car is relative to an M3 fail to realize that the fact that the 2 cars are being uttered in the same sentence is proof that M3 is the more capable car. It's pretty idiotic to compare them when P cars are essentially one trick ponies. That one trick, they do damn well. M3s are all rounded cars that while not besting P cars, they are putting up a pretty good fight in areas where P cars do well. I love the steering feel of 911s and i doubt M3 steering will ever feel that way. However, i also doubt P cars will carry 4 in comfort and a decent luggage space for all and yet be exciting to drive.
Appreciate 0