View Single Post
      10-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

All this obsession about bars...It's the LEAST of your concerns IMO.

A wise man once told me, suspension components impact handling in the following way:

Tires > Alignment > Springs > Shocks > Swaybars. Each one on the list has DIMINISHING returns in what it does for a suspension and how it can affect state of balance. Tires, obviously, has the biggest impact on how the car handles. In fact, I would guesstimate that 90% of all your handling ills can be cured by making sure you have the right size tires front and back. And since Alignment will affect the static and dynamic contact patch of the tires, it has the next biggest impact on a car's handling characteristics. In fact, I would say the two together will cure 99% of your handling ills. Then comes springs and shocks.

Heck, if you have springs of sufficient stiffness and shocks capable of handling said springs, you can even run WITHOUT front and rear bars. But if your concern is how the car handles, fix all the other parameter FIRST before worrying about the swaybars. Set your car's tire size, pressure, alignment, spring rate, and damper settings all up to get you to the ideal settings based on your style of driving, then if you still need to fine-tune the car's balance, and by fine-tune I mean you're having a rip roaring time at the track, and you notice that the front end still plows a little too early at more than half the turns at exit? Change the swaybar or its stiffness settings to see if it solves the problem.

But to obsess about swaybar settings before any other parameter is dialed in, IMO, is a waste of time.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0