View Single Post
      05-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #36
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
How many come with an interior to be proud of i.e. not predominantly plastic and other cheap materials? How many come with multiple suspension, drivetrain, and throttle settings? I know we are talking different price ranges for some of these cars, but the "American way" is still derivative of the same formula. When a Honda Fit or Accord has a comparably stylish interior to a boss mustang, I start to have a problem.
So, if interiors are what does it for you, why aren't you driving an Audi?

As for multiple throttle and suspension settings, why bother when a lowly Mustang GT pretty much runs neck and neck with the E9X cars as is?

Quote:
Your comment about the mustangs proves my point: add more HP to get around a track faster. Sure minors suspension tweets and all, but these are, in general, very heavy cars that aren't getting any lighter. Yea Boss kept up with / edged out the M3 on a track with a professional driver. Try that with weekend warriors and I would guess a different story as the M3 inspires more confidence than a mustang. As a package you get a hell of a lot more car in the M3 (as you should for the extra $). Z28 is purpose built as a track car: different story (and a cool one).
My son owns a '13 6-speed M3 with competition package and little else, plus he owns a Boss 302 LS for track days. From his point of view (and other Boss 302 drivers he runs with), stock M3s are simply not competitive on track. You just drive around them while chasing Porsches. Don't get me wrong. He really likes his M (traded a C63 for it), but he didn't really buy it for track use. He got it mostly because, like his old man, he hasn't matured enough to like driving an automatic every day.

Quote:
For example, look at the anemic tire options on the camero, charger, challenger, and mustang lineups and that will tell you how "track ready" they are. Relatively narrow for straight line performance, not wide for lateral grip. Eventually, this formula will not work in the marketplace. Just not yet.
First, It's CamAro. Second, one doesn't run narrow rubber to be quick in a straight line. Sheesh. Third, while the Challenger simply isn't competitive, the Boss 302 and 1LE Camaro each blow away the E9X M3s around any given track, with whatever tire sizes they come with from the factory.

Oh, they also have brakes that actually work on track, as well, while a properly driven M3 loses brakes after 4-5 laps around any given venue.

And don't give me any crap about how well your M's brakes work on track. If that's the case, you're just plain slow.
Appreciate 0