View Single Post
      08-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Having installed race seats in other cars, here'smy take...
- a resistor will work for the airbag in the seat and not throw an airbag light.
- the weight sensors can usually be removed from the stock seats and installed in the race seats...they are usually bladders.
- the stock seats usually have a sensor that reads how far forward/back the seat is positioned to determine how hard/fast the airbag deploys. The sensors can usually be removed from the bottom of the seat sliders and connected to te bottom of the raceseats.
- a stock-type male insert usually needs to be bought/made to plug into the stock female receiver to keep beeping/blinking/flashing/annoyances from happening. This may also effect the airbag deployment strength (no seatbelt seen by the car and the airbag comes out like a frigging nuclear bomb!!!)

Losing theside bags is not a real concern for me if I can get a proper seat/harness setup. The real issue will be how to attach the shoulder belts without a harnessbar/roll-bar. Schroth has harnesses that sometimes attach to the rear belts at the seats, in the stock receptacles, or that connect to the shoulder mounts by the C-pillars...the C-pillar mounts, I believe, is the only track-legal way without a bar.

Regarding the 4-mount harnesses.... again, Schroth makes a DOT legal ASM (anti-submarine) harness that is legal whenever a 3-point harness is legal - track or street. It has a special release on the center clip that is red...so paramedics can push it like a stock seatbelt release.

And comfort...my Recaro Speed recliner seat is more comfortable than the stock M3 seat...doubt it?...I'll bet you a harness that you'd find it more comfortable. The Recaro Sport is also pretty comfortable, too, and can be bought in black leather.

Going one step further, the Porsche GT3 seat is a modified Recaro PP and they would look awesome!!!

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0