View Single Post
      11-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX View Post
LOL yea I can get wordy. Got so much stuff in my head and it just pours out.

But I hear you. I am at the opposite end at this time in my life. I was looking for Raw. I love the harshness of the Evo and actually just purchased coilovers so I can make it even more stiff if I choose.

I actually started out looking at M3's when I decided to trade my Rover in. But was looking at the 2005. Once I read all the reviews on the Evo and test drove it, I just felt it was better bang for the buck and so inexpensive and easy to get to about 400hp at the wheels that I had to get it. I swore all my cars would have leather but with the Evo's Recaros leather just didn't seem to go with what the car was about to me. It's really the first car I have owned that I don't ever plan on selling. Most of the time I'm bored after a year and a half and trading it in at two years. I'm just as excited waking up in the morning to drive it now as I was 2 years ago, maybe more so since it has over 150hp more.
I had two Evos, an Evo 8 and Evo X. Both were great performance cars. I found the Evo 8/9's seats fit better, the Evo X didn't have lumbar support so my back hurt during long (3 hour+) drives.

I have coilovers on every car I've owned. It is usually the first thing I change because it has such a big effect in the handling of car. Power-wise stock is fine for me but handling has to be on the dot. Most Evo guys go for power first... which is fun on the street but on track, power doesn't make as big a difference as handling. My Evos ran Ohlins DFV coilovers... great stuff. Handles so well and isn't uncomfortable on the street. The M3 right now is on KW V3 coilovers.. it was the first thing I changed. The stock suspension is pretty soft.

When I say refinement, I'm not talking about leather everything, soft ride, cool gadgets and a BMW badge etc. I'm talking about something I can live with every day. I can drive a Corolla and it feels 10x more refined than the Evo. It doesn't tire me out on long drives and I can drive it around and feel comfortable in it. I was actually thinking of buying a Civic or Corolla as a DD in addition to the Evo... then I figured I'll just spend a bit more and get a car that does everything.