View Single Post
      03-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Sort of a tangent, but the only thing that really had me waffling on whether to buy an M or not (back before I realized it's the most awesome car I could possibly own) was a friend of mine, big car enthusiasm and big BMW enthusiast, a few years ago bought himself a brand spanking new E46. Drove it for like 6 months then, driving like a bonehead (his own admission) did a header into a telephone pole in it.

It wasn't totaled or anything close to it, but the impact severed with wiring harness between the headlights. So they do all the bodywork needed, go to replace the harness... And tell him they need to order a new one, from Germany, since they weren't available in the US. Oh, yeah, and they're backordered.

Fast-forward 2 months later, the shop gets the harness in... And it won't fit. A few back-and-forths with BMW later it turns out that his car was manufactured during this little interim period where they used this one kind of harness and not for the rest of the E46's. So they had to BUILD him a new one. By hand, or so he claims. No lie, this was the official line from BMW.

Long story short, his car was in the shop for 6 months, almost every day of that waiting for BMW to deliver some wires'n'plugs.

Moral of the story, however, is NOT: don't buy an M. It's don't wrap it around a telephone pole.