View Single Post
      10-23-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Another ticket thread.

I was following my friend to the movie theatres. We were at his friends house and after that he decided we should go the long way so we can show off our cars (he drives an STi). So we're driving around town and we get stopped at a stop light. He started driving off really fast and I tried catching up to him. At the second stop light, I try to race him again knowing I would never win. Then we turn on to another street and at a stop light, I see a cop behind me. Then seconds later, two more cops roll up beside us. That's when I knew we were screwed. After the light turned green, they flashed their lights and pulled us both over. One cop came up to me and asked me if he knew why he pulled me over and I replied like any teenager would "no." He asked me if I was racing my friend and I said that I was just following him which I kinda was. Then he asked me if I was following him or trying to catch up to him and I said, "both kinda." He said he saw my friend and me racing and said we were going around 55-65 in a 35 which is not that fast at all. But I know he didn't clock us because I know what my car can do in 7 seconds. And he said he pulled us over on Timberlake which is a street with a speed limit of 45. So I knew he was lying about that, too. While I was waiting, this other cop came up to my car and started looking inside. He started asking me questions about it so that made things less stressful. After waiting about 15 minutes, the cop called me out of my car and talked to me about the ticket. He gave me a ticket for reckless driving (racing on highway). I know pretty much he assumed that we were racing and had no hard evidence. I know what I did was wrong, but what should I do about it?

Here is the racing law in my state:
§ 46.2-865. Racing; penalty - Any person who engages in a race between two or more motor vehicles on the highways in the Commonwealth or on any driveway or premises of a church, school, recreational facility, or business property open to the public in the Commonwealth shall be guilty of reckless driving, unless authorized by the owner of the property or his agent. When any person is convicted of reckless driving under this section, in addition to any other penalties provided by law the driver's license of such person shall be suspended by the court for a period of not less than six months nor more than two years. In case of conviction the court shall order the surrender of the license to the court where it shall be disposed of in accordance with the provisions of § 46.2-398.
Appreciate 0