Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Steve, no that's one place I've not driven, only been there for NASCAR races. Obviously you won't be driving the entire tri-oval. I think you'll be on the north course and in NASCAR turn 3 only. If you're going with Del Val BMWCCA it's going to be their last event at Pocono, so enjoy it.

The most important thing I can tell you is to learn the track before you go so you don't waste your weekend learning the track. If you know the track ahead if time you can then concentrate on fine tuning your lines and learning the limits of your car not wondering which way the track goes next.

How do you learn the track before you go?? First get a track map, there are many available online, just do a search (http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Pocon...tional_Raceway). Next find a few videos on youtube or elsewhere of guys running the same track. Don't look for videos of pro racers, look for guys who have video'd previous driver's schools. Be sure you're studying the same Pocono configuration that you'll be driving as Pocono has a few different configurations. Finally, watch the videos with the track map in front of you as many times as it takes until you comfortably know the track. I've watched as many as 20 or 30 laps to feel comfortable. Look for big reference points that you'll see when you're on the track such as the grandstands or the NASCAR garages. Also look at what corners folks are downshifting for, not that the E92 will be exactly the same, but it gives a reference for how much they're slowing for each corner. I'd anticipate that you will only need 3rd and 4th gear for Pocono (possibly 5th on the long straightaway).

Let me know if you'd like to talk on the phone before you go, I can give you some more student insight or answer any questions you have about driver's schools in general. PM me your number if you want to talk. I have 17 driver school days under my belt. 3 in my E92 M3.
thanks for all the great advice, skierman. Just watching a few laps @ Pocono North has helped a lot.
Appreciate 0