12-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #114
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Thanks for starting this discussion, swamp.

It will be interesting to see how close your predictions are to reality.

Since this is a thread for speculation, I will go ahead and speculate that the power will be 460 hp.
Sure.

I think my post is slightly better than "speculation" isn't it. I'd give it educated guess or hypothesis at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Swamp2, nice topic.
Now to the weight, the new BMW's did not get weight reduction, but just less weight growth. Only the X3 is 30 kg lighter than the previous generation. In this way we can expect the 3 Series F3X to get about 50 kg lighter. This would mean a 335i F30 would weight 1550 kg (EU) compared to todays 335i E90 that weighs 1600 kg (EU). If the M3 F32 is based on a TT I6, and not a havier NA V8, it will weigh 1550 kg (EU), what is 100 kg less than todays M3 E92, and it would be slightly less than the previous M3 E46.
Thanks. Those numbers look quite reasonable to me. Do you have some real evidence of these F series weights or just guesses/educated guesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
...automobilistic...
You totally made that word up. It's pretty cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
Its not hard gents. The e92 motor was basically 2 off the v10 of the e60. Same for text time. Just take two off. So it will be a v6 TT off the same architecture of the v8 TT of the upcoming m5.
A major consideration of engine configuration is the engines balance and efficiency. Cross plane V8s like the M3 are naturally quite balanced. V6s are both poorly balanced thus require extra gear driven balancing and are less efficient than I6 because of that and the entire extra head and valve system. Since BMW has had no production engines ever in this configuration it is extremely unlikely. I6 is the most efficient and balanced engine configuration around. The only real drawback is its long length, making it typically unsuited to a FWD application.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0