View Single Post
      07-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
mazing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
Just a heads up, I'm not here to piss on anyone's parade, just stating that I don't understand the mentality. With that said, I'll answer some of your questions.

I've done a couple laps in a vert (big willow) there is a noticeable difference. On a tighter road corse the difference would be more noticeable.

Since you are not a pro driver (nor am I) your lap times against a group you hit the track with are all about the driver, not the car. So if you post a similar lap time against someone in a E92 who does not drive as well as you do, that doesn't say anything. So your similar lap times in this scenario are irrelevant.

In regards to owning a 335, I agree because I had one as well 4 years ago. I am pretty confident in saying that if you did not currently own a E92 coupe (335), your decision about getting a M3 vert may have been much different but that's neither here nor there.

The M3 has as perfect of a weight balance as you can ask for in a road vehicle 51/49 if I'm not mistaken? Even Porsche does not have this kind of weight balance.

What do you call perfect weight balance? 50/50? Close enough.

Not the perfect engine is an opinion at this point as you will have an extremely difficult time finding a natural V8 redlining at 8400rpm with peak power coming on at redline and torque being put down flat as a table top. What engine comes close to this without intruding on super car territory?

What do you consider a perfect engine?

In regards to pricing on a vert being 10% more hence becoming an affordability issue, I will confidently tell you that price is NOT the main reason people do NOT buy a vert M3. I have no proof of this, but I am confident enough to assure you that price is not the reason that people do not buy a vert M3. You can run a poll if you like, would gather enough data to prove this is absolutely irrelevant and definitely not a talking point when it comes to the topic of performance.

In addition, the E93 M3 is around 440lbs (as far as I can remember) heavier than an E92 M3. 440lbs. That's no joke. To put that into perspective... The weight difference between a E92 and E93 is over 100lbs greater than the weight difference between a E46 and an E92 M3. If you really look at the most talked about issues or complaints in regards to the E9x M3, you will see it's about 1) torque from those who typically don't understand how torque truly works or understand but just don't like how the E9x torque applies and 2) weight being significantly more than then E46 M3s. With that said, an additional 440lbs is a significant amount. Add to that the cut off roof affecting rigidity and structure, you still have the same brakes as I do which are now supposed to slow down an extra 440lbs, and you got yourself something to think about.

Again, not pissing on anyone's parade there is nothing like seeing a happy M3 owner whatever their reasons of joy may be. This is just my opinion supported with facts. I personally, would not spend my money on a M3 vert which is only a preference I have due to the information I've posted above. Not because I do not have the money. Lulz.

Well this could quickly spiral out of control into a mine is better than yours discussion. The OP was asking for feedback on a vert and none of the original questions were centered on the issues you state for not understanding the logic for buying one at all. If there was no market BMW wouldn't produce them.

Now if I follow the logic stream here the only perfect M would be a coupe. Why make a 4 door super car or a convertible super car? Why does Porsche offer convertibles?

I think it is silly to question why someone would wnat a vert, vs. a coupe etc. I am not a professional driver nor an automotive design expert. I chose a covnvertible because thats what I wanted, M3 power and handling with a drop top. Could it be lighter (yes if they went to a soft-top)
I like the fact that is actually 2 cars in one, an awsome fair weather ride and I can put the top up and its as if it is a totally different vehicle.
However, the added weight is to boost rigidity since they do remove B Pillars (so the point about reducing rigidity/integrity of the car is erroneous)

They wouldn't just cut it up and not re-inforce elsewhere which is traditionally why verts are heavy.

In the end to each his own, if I was still in NY I would never have purchased a vert (would have went coupe) but where you play also has an impac on the decision. Additionally, I like the fact that you don't see too many verts (maybe because based on your logic it is not the perfect car as the M3 Coupe) but it is for me and it is more than adequate. The drops in performance in my opinion are minimal for a DD type car and I get the added benefit of a tan. Its the ultimate tanning machine.

To each his own though its all good and we are still all part of the M club. Which ever car you choose is a matter of preference. Its like adding options, 6MT or DCT there is no right or wrong just what is right for you. OP if a vert is what you want then get it, if "performance declines" scare you off then don't.