View Single Post
      02-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Searcher821
I find stuff
Rep
Drives: Jet pack

Airliners do not have a cabin altitude of 0 for the entire flight.
Normally I think cabin altitude will be around 5,000 ft when flying in 30,000 ft (in rough figures). That means you will have to pressurize the last 5k yourself, when coming down.

Going up is normally not a problem because air will flow from, the ear since the pressure in the ear is higher than the surroundings. I've tried rapid decompressions in decompression chambers, where we go from 0 to 20,000 ft in virtually less than a second, which will make your ears hiss for a good 4-5 seconds ...

Going the other way - down again - is harder because you have to supply the pressure to "inflate" the ear again like a balloon, to the same pressure as out side the ear.

If you do not do this as soon as you feel discomfort in your ear, it will only get harder, the longer you wait, and the higher the pressure gets.

The more pressure is on your ears from the outside, the harder they are pressed shut, and the harder you'll have to blow to get pressure into them again.

If yawning and swallowing is not effective, unblock your ears as follows:

Step 1: Pinch your nostrils shut.
Step 2: Take a mouthful of air.
Step 3: Using your cheek and throat muscles, force the air into the back of your nose as if you were trying to blow your thumb and fingers off your nostrils. Do this hard enough, your ears will clear, and the pain is gone within a few seconds.

Try practising in elevators and airliners first - then go skydiving once you get comfortable with the routine.

Contrary to what some seem to think, it's not uncool to pressurize your ears on airliners. It just shows you know what you're doing.

I fly for a living and we do it routinely as well. It has nothing to do with how many hours you have in the air.

Going up unpressurized to more than 5k and then coming down again will obviously most likely be harder, than just the ~5k you need to work in an airliner, but in general the faster the pressure builds up - the harder it is.

Last edited by Searcher821; 02-02-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0