11-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Thank you for a solid write up. I didn't make it to the guitar store today but I feel like I have a good idea of what I need to start. Just gotta find the right one for the right price.

Since you said pick up an extra set of strings, do the strings go bad relatively fast?
the strings' life will depend on a few things. i have a friend who lives by the beach and he cycles through his guitars because they corrode fast due to the moisture and salt.

make it a habit to clean your strings after you use your guitar and your strings will last longer. use a cloth to wipe it to get rid of the dirt and oils from your hands.

there are brands that are more expensive but sound good and last pretty long. check out the elixir and cleartone strings. pick up a guitar that has a balance of easy playing and good sound so you don't get frustrated easily and give up.

break up your practice session in shorter ones and play more often when you get frustrated with long sessions. (this is a very simple thing that people don't realize and they just give up instead of practicing in shorter sessions)

i like placing my guitars where i can easily pick it up and play between doing house chores.