11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Right ... I get it, braking, acceleration, handling. But how much difference are we really talking about?

Tech, I don't know, thats the point of this thread. Can anyone compare or relate this to say "whp" gain or how much the car would feel lighter by?

Thanks.
Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but perhaps you'll find some value in this data --

Going from stock brakes, wheels and tires to aftermarket (see sig) I shaved nearly 6 seconds off lap times at my regular track.

1-2 seconds of that was brakes, 3-4 seconds tires.

My Apex wheels and RS3's are actually about 3 lbs. heavier than stock wheels + tires.

My gut tells me that 18" BBS FI, for example, at ~5 lbs. less per corner than my Apex wheels may shave a couple of tenths.

With a 200 lb. passenger I lose maybe 1 second/lap. Is the disadvantage of adding that much weight in the cabin less than the advantage of a few pound decrease in unsprung weight in the wheels? I'm not certain, but I don't think so.

That said, I can understand lighter wheels from the standpoint of an overall weight reduction, and overall performance increase. (Or even if you have the $ and just like the look of a particular light weight wheel.)

Appreciate 0