View Single Post
      03-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good. That means we are getting closer and closer to agreement; each sort of moving toward the middle ground. Because I am having more confidence and being more and more impressed with the chassis, ATTESA-ETS, VDC-R, etc.
I'm happy myself.

Doing the old tried and true analysis of trap speeds on these cars (tested together under the same weather conditions) shows that they tend toward accurate ratings.

Using the more than 50 year old (and basic) formula of trap speed divided by the constant 234, result cubed, times the tested weight gives the following:

Z06 - 495 HP
GT-R - 489 HP
Porsche Turbo - 516 HP

The Z06 loses a little based on tire slip in first and second gears - and if you've ever driven one, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The GT-R gains a bit based on a killer launch (see the acceleration graph in the R & T data panel) and killer shifts from its gearbox. The Porsche gains its advantage via the Sport Chrono package that gives you just over 500 pound feet of torque for most or all of the run, instead of its 457 ft/lb rating.

In short, no harm, no foul. Everybody's being pretty straight up on the power ratings. Not surprising, given SAE (and I assume DIN) rules.

Looking further at that graph from the data panel, it's clear that if you're crusing along at 80 or so and a Z06 pulls alongside, better start screwing with the radio rather than getting exhaust blown in your face if you're in either of the other cars. Likewise, if you're at a light in either of the other cars and a GT-R pulls up, better start looking for that hard-to-find jazz station until the Nissan is safely away and the folks behind you start to honk.

On a related topic and based on these results, it looks as if footie was right and I was wrong in regard to Nissan hobbling the GT-R's launch control for the U.S.

I am very pleased about that, and glad I didn't wager something on the outcome.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 03-22-2008 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0