02-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #84
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Is The M3 "The Poor Man's Super Car"?... Is a good philosophical question, so let's not get entangled in the definition of rich or poor.

Another way to look at it is this... Given unlimited funds, would the M3 still be our favorite car of choice? Or is the M3 a compromise for something else you or I would prefer to be driving? I must venture to say YES, the M3 is the Poor Man's Super Car.

I purchased an E90 because I have a practical need for 4-doors to accommodate an occasional family outing. I also wanted an all-in-one daily driver with performance power and handling to spice up my commute.

All the money in the world? The Aston Martin Rapide would have been ideal... starting at $199,950. Too rich for my blood... for now.

I suppose a typical E92 driver would prefer to be in a GT3RS... starting at $135,500. Only double the price of an M3.

Certainly, who is poor or rich for these numbers is relative.

On reflection, I would like to retract some of what I said and put forth the idea that the M3 should never aspire to supercar status.

A supercar cannot be a daily driver. It would be absurd to purchase a $200K Aston Martin Rapide and commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic to work on a daily basis no matter how many doors the Aston may have.

For this reason, I submit that the M3 E90 is the ultimate performance daily driver comparable to the RS4, C63, etc. As far as the E92 coupe, there are a number of respectable comparables in performance and prestige (i.e., Porsche, Corvette, etc.)

What do they all have in common? However you may describe them, they're also good daily drivers.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0