View Single Post
      05-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Check out this 22 year old Rolex...

As many of you know I got married in January, and bought my lovely bride a Rolex ladies Datejust for a wedding gift. When my birthday came 'round in April, my wife (God I love this woman) suggested I get a men's Datejust that matched hers. I took this as an opportunity to seek out a vintage model. I contacted a trusted source in Singapore to source what I wanted, and he came through for me with the below piece.

Looks pretty good for a 22 year old watch don't you think?

The serial number on the watch dates it to 1984, but the watch looks as good as new (thanks to a little polishing). Here's a shot of the movement:

The watch is running about +2 seconds a day - better than some of my brand new Rolexes. While the robustness of a Rolex is impressive, and a testiment to the brand, it is the timelessnes of their designs which impresses me the most. Here's a photo of one of Rolex's newest revisions of the Datejust (sent to me by Rolex for review, valued at $13,000.00) next to my vintage model. As you can see, there's only subtle differences in the case design.

As you can tell, I'm really excited about adding this piece to my collection. My wife loves the fact that we have matching watches.

Appreciate 0