Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I'm sorry this logic is really f*cked up or maybe we're from different planets:
  1. You bought BBS CH-R's ($)
  2. Track and track weekend cost of $500+ for travel, entry fees, etc. ($$)
  3. You're TRACKING an M3 to the point where your tires overheat, brake pads and gas @ 6mpg ($$$)
  4. Buying *HOOSIERS*, Michelin Cups, or Corsas, the most expensive R tires, in 19" diameter, with staggered fitment which YOU CAN'T ROTATE ($$$$)

....................And you're worried about resale?

You don't think you can pick up a set of OEM 18's or 19's when it's time to sell the car?

No offense at all intended I'm just trying to help and STRUGGLING to understand how running 19" Hoosiers will save you money. If you are driving so fast and so hard that the best street tires won't do, you should probably at least a set of 18s because those hoosiers will last you a couple days max when pushed to the limit.

Last I checked, square 18's don't take up more space than 19's AND you can rotate tires.
I'm leaning now towards the PSC's, not sure that it really is all that much more money, plus more versitile. PSC's probably a premium of about $7-500 for the set, compared with decent track wheels of around $2K. Yes, I can sell the OEM 19's, but then you have the hassle and you need to do it again with the track wheels. It all ends up being a left pocket, right pocket thing with a lot of hassle, when I can just keep the 19's which are a strong, forged, light wheel- granted you can't rotate, etc. but a good wheel. Now, what goes unsaid, this being my first summer tracking this car, who knows what the next summer will bring, so I'm trying to keep this simple, that means using the 19's. It's more about keeping it simple than resale.

Now, as to the expense of a track day- insurance, entry fee, pads, gas and tire wear it is easily a $1000 per day. It is easy to go crazy, but like I said, who knows what the future will bring, maybe this is the wrong approach to upgrade slowly and keep it simple, but dedicated track wheels, followed probably next by upgraded brakes etc., etc should wait until I jump into the deep end with more than three track days a year- which is all I will probably do this year. So the PSC's are a good comprimise for not only the track days, but also maybe an autocross or some fun mountain tours that we do here as well.

For each his own, thanks for input. You may still be proven right in the future!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package

Last edited by Montoya; 07-10-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0