View Single Post
      10-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Arrow Attending Med/Dental School Overseas, discussion

Since a lot of medical/business threads are popping up in here, I thought I'd share my story and get some professional E90Post consulting.
If you want to get to my main question, just read the bolded area.

Since childhood I've been attracted towards a career in medicine, tried to take all the steps necessary to get there. For example: I have been fortunate enough to rake over several hundred hours of shadowing all sorts of hospitals and practices in my junior and senior year in high school.
During this time, I became certified for the following things: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant), CPT (Certified Pharmacy Technician), CPR and First Aid administration, and my Life Guarding license.

Leaving high school, I entered my freshman year at a state university. I joined a fraternity and lost focus of my goal that first semester. I ended up experimenting, and starting to give up on medicine. I wasn't sure what I wanted. I dropped my CHEM class in order to avoid getting a C or F, and was only able to complete 9 hours, but at least maintain a 4.0. I decided by the end of the semester that I wanted to be closer to home and that I was already tired of the distractions in the uni, so I transferred to a local college here in Dallas. For my second semester of college I took 14 hours which I was able to manage an A in all my classes, including BIO, except for GOV, which I got a B.
I'm a sophomore right now and I'm taking 16 hours for the fall semester, and am fairly confident that I'll get As, CHEM this time as well, but possibly get a B in GOV again.

Main point: At this point in my life I feel that I know exactly where I want to be in the next few years, and I am very motivated, to do whatever it takes to get there as quickly as possible.
Firstly, I want to start off in Dentistry, and later specialize in Endodontics or OMFS (Surgery). For this reason, I was wondering if I could just complete my Associates Degree here locally, and then instead of transferring to another university, make my way straight into my career field at some school overseas, avoiding my last two years of college in the states. I ultimately want to come back to Dallas by the time I get certified or live somewhere stateside.

What are your thoughts on the idea of studying medicine overseas? The thing I worry about is getting residency, or being able to get certification here.
Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?

Honestly at this point I'm going through a lot of drama on the side and feel the need and very determined to do something in my life, so overseas classes seems like a nice way to avoid distractions, here, and get ahead/back on track.

Last edited by eamon; 10-31-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0