12-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #110
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK it comes down to the point that you do believe the Porsche driver of the GT-R was not experienced enough and was told not to get the best time possible. I, along with the majority of others (indicated by your own poll), don't buy that as reasonable for one moment.
Actually this statement above and the one below are not separate at all and that has always been my point about Porsche time and why I disbelieve what they did as truthful. Below is the reason for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I'll will answer your question directly:

The problem with the GT-R and comparing different cars and different tracks is that they clearly shipped GT-Rs in different states of tune and break in. Look at the various 1/4 mi times and traps. These differences are not due to random variations caused by production tolerances. Absolutely NO WAY. Similarly they are not caused by Nissan cherry picking from production (which is bascially the same point just above). Now that being said a 7:54 for a solid Porsche test driver on a good day with a production GT-R WITH 480 hp is reasonable. The only reason you think 7:54 is unreasonable is because the car is so darn under rated. If you want to call 530 hp the "norm" for a production car that "meets specs" (which seems to opinion of most "knights for the honor of Nissan and of the GT-R") then no 7:54 is not a reasonable time.

Case closed.
The GTRs have been imported to the US and thus not supplied by Nissan themselves during most if not all of those tests, as has been the case in the UK. In Japan the fuel is 100 octane not 97~98 octane as in the UK and slightly less in the US, if these cars haven't had their software adapted to the different fuel then under performing caused by the fuel could explain the varied results.

Also the GTR used by DR was a stock example imported as all the others from Japan as their is no GTR currently available in the UK until spring next year. This car has been tested against the clock and against a 997C2S with PDK and lost in acceleration but still proved to be quicker than both the GT2 and LP 560 around Silverstone and would have been only one second slower than the GT2 on the ring in the hands of Chris from DR if the car had been equipped with the Dunlop tyres which are similar in spec to the ones used on the GT2.

Which comes right back to the question, 'Why did Porsche get their GT2 around the ring 16 seconds quicker than DR did but only 2 seconds quicker than they did in the GTR?'

Case is most definitely not closed.
Appreciate 0