03-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #33
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I agree on this.

As far as hp goes I think anywhere in the 420 range will be under-rated. I've said it a million times but the 335i and M5 are both significantly under rated and the new M3 will probably be as well.

It is another question entirely if this much hp can keep the M3 competitive over it's entire life span. If the weight is lower than I expect I think the answer is yes, otherwise with the bump in power coming at Audi, MB and P, I think the answer is no.
I think it is unlikely the M3 will be underrated in terms of hp by BMW.

There is a clear reason why the 335 is underrated -- it is encroaching on M3 territory for presumably much less money. The only reason to underrate the M3 would be out of concern for encroaching on the M5/M6. I do not think even 450 would raise such concerns, particularly if the M5/6 really are significantly underrated, and given the different target customers for these models. Rating the M3 to its true power aids in marketing, because of the importance many people place in hp. If the motor really outputs 420, I do not think BMW will publicise 410 instead. That would be marketing suicide given the levels the competition is reaching. BMW knows this.

The M3 will not be available for sale until late this year at the earliest, assuming September production startup. It will probably be on sale through at least the 2013 model year. IMHO 420 is only aqequate now in this class, unless weight is crazy low for this type of vehicle. How will 420 compare two or three years from now?
Appreciate 0